The ski trip into the Norwegian fjords around Romsdalen is a world-class experience. The lands along the Norwegian Coast have been inhabited for thousands of years and yet a lot of the primeval character of the landscape remains. The meeting of mountains and ocean is truly remarkable.The coastline may very well be the most complicated one in the world. Thousands of fjords ranging from a few hundred meters to over 100 kilometers make up the coast of Norway. After having been there, we saw just enough to realize that the skiing possibilities are just about endless.
April 1, 2019 - April 6, 2019
Sign up for a course or a trip and receive a 10% discount on purchases and a 20% discount on gear rental.
Pro Ski and Mountain Service is our retail specialty store. It has been located in North Bend, WA since 1999.
The past trips and courses have had a large influence on what we sell. Many of our Pro Guiding customers come on trips and courses with gear they purchased from our store. Not only do we want our clients to have the right gear for the job; we also receive direct feedback from them while they are using it in the field. Trust us - if the gear does not work - we won't sell it.
• 1 Bottom - midweight or lightweight
• 1 Top - midweight or lightweight
• Sock Liners
• Ski Socks
• Windshirt, Soft Shell, Fleece - only one of these is necessary
• Lightweight Waterproof/Breathable Jacket and Pants
• Schoeller™ Type Pants
• Warm Hat - should cover ears
• Sun Hat - baseball type or visor
• Lightweight Gloves
• Ski Gloves
• Day Pack – 30 to 40 Liters
• Water Bottles - 1 or 2 liters, wide mouth, hydration system
• Lunch and Snacks – will be provided
• Sunglasses - adequate for snow travel
• Sunscreen - SPF >25, waterproof
• Lip Balm - SPF 15+
• Headlamp - lightweight LED recommended
• Small Personal 1st aid kit - blister repair (Compeed™), aspirin, ibuprofen, etc.
APRES SKI WEAR
• Tennis shoes and comfortable street wear
• Space on the boat is limited, so please keep the extra gear to a minimum
• Skis - Alpine Touring or Telemark
• Ski Boots - Alpine Touring or Telemark
• Ski Poles - telescopic poles work well, but not required
• Climbing Skins
• Ski Crampons - THESE ARE REQUIRED!
• Ski Brakes or Removable Ski Leashes
• Transceiver - single frequency, 457 kHz only
• Shovel - compact, lightweight, metal blade preferred
• Probe - dedicated probe only, ski poles do not suffice
• Ice Axe - 55-70cm length, lightweight
• Boot Crampons - check fit prior to departure, aluminum would be perfect.
• Climbing Harness - lightweight, BD Alpine Bod style (no padding)
• 2 Locking Carabiners- (1) large HMS style and (1) regular locker
• 2 Non-locking Carabiners - any style, we recommend wire gates
• 1 Single Length Runner
• 1 Double Length Runner
• 1 Cordelette - 6 mm diameter, 6 meter length
OPTIONAL ITEMS *We highly recommend these items, but do not require them to participate.
• Thermos - vacuum type
• Compass - adjustable declination a must
• Altimeter - Suunto watch works well
GROUP GEAR PROVIDED BY PGS
• Technical Group Gear such as ropes, crevasse rescue kits, elaborate first aid kits.
• Group 1st Aid Kit
HOW DO I GET TO MOLDE FROM THE UNITED STATES? Fly to Oslo and then take a commuter flight to Molde. It generally works best if you stay overnight in Oslo and fly the next morning to Molde . We are meeting in Molde in the early afternoon of the first day of the trip. The flight from Oslo to Molde takes about one hour.
DO YOU HAVE ANY HOTEL RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE OVERNIGHT STAY IN OSLO?Oslo Airport, Gardermoen is located in Gardermoen in Ullensaker, Norway, 48 km north of Oslo.
Hotel accomodations obviously exist right near the airport or in downtown Oslo. The town center of Oslo is very pedestrian friendly and worth the trip. We have stayed in the Thon Hotel Astoria in the center (email@example.com). It was simple, clean and convenient.
WHAT IS THE CURRENCY IN NORWAY AND HOW DO I FIGURE OUT THE EXCHANGE RATE? The Norwegian currency is the Krone and the exchange rate is about 6 Kroner to 1 US Dollar.
I HEARD THAT NORWAY IS EXPENSIVE. IS THIS TRUE AND WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR OUR TRIP? In terms of our trip it means that you might want to bring a bit more spending money. Just about everything is included on the boat in terms of food. We will be in little towns on a regular basis that will give us the opportunity to spend a bit of money, but the bulk of the expenses are included in the trip. So 40 to 50 US $ per day should be plenty.
IS THE SKIING DIFFICULT? No, the general skiing terrain would have to be rated as advanced but not expert level terrain.
DO WE HAVE TO BRING SLEEPING BAGS? No, it is all provided.
SHOULD I TIP MY GUIDE? AND HOW MUCH SHOULD I TIP THEM? Although tipping is not a requirement it is considered standard practice in the guiding industry and is appreciated by our guides. We generally recommend roughly 10%-15% of your course or trip cost or flat price tip that you are comfortable with.